This year, I decided to approach presidents special a little different – since our annual meeting fell the day after the NCAA Men’s Final and on Election Day, I decided to host a bracket where members got to pick the topic.
Our President’s Special Final Four was:
After Round 1 – Macro/Close-Up & Long Exposure came out victorious.
In the end – the winner and this year’s president special is: Macro/Close-Up
- Image must be taken after 4/4/17
- No Arthropods (Insects/Spiders) – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropod
- No Plants – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant
- Exceptions: Fruit/Vegetables in their final form are allowed – for example a cherry is allowed, but not a cherry blossom.
- Fungi are not in the plant kingdom, therefore also allowed
Why did I add the Arthropod/Plant restriction?
I wanted the club members to step out outside the box and get creative. If you google “Macro Photography” you will notice almost all of the images are of insects/spiders and flowers.
I also noticed this trend on Flickr – the trend continued on the largest Macro group. https://www.flickr.com/groups/49503086607@N01/
I then found a Flickr group which had restriction and I really like the diversity of images compared to the traditional macro groups – so I decided to add the same restrictions to president’s special. https://www.flickr.com/groups/macro_noflower_noinsect/
Here are just a few website I found that provide useful information:
- Mike Moats (I took his workshop) – https://tinylanscapes.wordpress.com/
- Digital Photography School – https://digital-photography-school.com/?s=Macro
- YouTube Videos – https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAM%253D&q=macro+photography
Happy Shooting and good luck!